According to the World Health Organization (W.H.O), there is an outbreak of Wuhan Novel Coronavirus, which was first reported in China during December 2019.
The World Health Organisation (W.H.O) has therefore recommended member-states to prepare toward preventing further international outbreak, by strengthening health systems to manage the situation.
This virus is a new form of human infection that is contracted through droplet infection and close personal contacts with an infected person.
Some common signs and symptoms of the viral infection include respiratory illness, fever (high body temperature over 38°C), cough, breathing difficulties, sore throat, runny nose etc.
As part of measures to prevent the outbreak of the Novel Coronavirus in Tema Shipyard, the Clinic in collaboration with Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority health services led by Dr. Vitus Anaab-Bisi organized a one-week Sensitization exercise on 3rd to 7th February 2020
This exercise was timely as vessels from China often report to the Yard for repairs and maintenance works hence, making the Yard vulnerable to an outbreak.
How To Reduce The Risk Of Coronavirus Infection.
In preventing this deadly virus from breaching the shores of Tema Shipyard, workers must:
• Wash their hands frequently with soap under running water.
• Use alcohol-based hand rub when their hands are not visibly dirty.
• Keep a distance of at least one meter from a person showing signs of fever, cough and difficulty in breathing.
• Ensure mandatory checks are carried out and declared safe before executing operational works on vessel.
• Consume well cooked meat and eggs.
• Avoid touching eyes, mouth or nose with unwashed hands.
• Be physically active, eat well, drink plenty fluids, reduce stress and have enough sleep.
The Chief Executive Office of Tema Shipyard, Capt. Francis K.B. Micah expressed gratitude for the collaboration with GPHA and added that the Yard is well prepared to safeguard the well-being of its workforce.
Health is Priceless, Observe the Basic Health Principles!!!